Celtic Spirituality in Kentucky

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Concerning your post on Celtic Spirituality

Re: Concerning your post on Celtic Spirituality

Paschal, Getting back to your tapes by John O'Donohue. My plans for Lent include using his set of tapes: Wisdom from the Celtic World. The set includes three topics: 1. The Divine Imagination, On the Wild Presence of the Divine and the Call of Beauty. 2. The Inner Landscape, On Contradiction as Invitation and the Hidden Blessings of Pain and Suffering 3. The Invisible World, On the Beauty of Prayer and Liberation from the Prisons in Which We Choose to Live.

I've used one or the other of these at various times over the years to help me center when I take "retreat" time at home. On a daily routine, however, in addition to the very good books that are available, I use poetry, music, and nature to focus on God's love. Music and personal interaction with living animals evokes a great deal of love from deep within.

Somehow, I've come to hear God in music, and see God in living creatures. I'm only recently feeling an inner spiritual reaction to art. Living in the woods is a big help to me, after my youth in NYC. In the city I found God, in the very Celtic spirituality that I found in my family's focus upon FAMILY relationships and sacred hospitality, more than having access to natural beauty.

As I age, and with the experience now of living in a rural setting, I have come to see not only the value, but the spiritual and religious obligation of caring for our Earth and environment--much more than I ever thought about in my youth. Not just as preserving the gift of the Earth for it's beauty, but for the Love with which it's been given to us by God... so by caring for environment personally, and through any products I support or purchase, I am loving my daughter and her children and grandchildren, etc.

It all returns to loving. Thus it affects all I buy, all I support socially and politically, and each choice I make. This is my intent. I am not as conscious all the time and I want to be and try to be. God's not finished with me yet, as the saying goes. For me that is what living the Faith MUST do in my life--refocus me on Love in every choice. Celtic spirituality actually makes it easy I believe because of the emphasis on creation and relationships. . . . still learning

--A woman priest of the Celtic Christian Church, ordained in the orthodox independent Catholic tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home