Celtic Spirituality in Kentucky

Thursday, August 20, 2015

My saints in heaven



My saints in heaven
Arrogant as this sounds, I should have at least some 20 saints in heaven because of my prayers.
From the 4th grade on, I remember in our Catholic St. Augustine school, being taught that we could earn a plenary indulgence (full release) for souls in purgatory, only on All Souls day, October 31.  We needed only to make a visit to the church, say 6 Our Fathers, Hail Mary's and Glory Be's to release one soul in purgatory to heaven.
Because I was all during this time, sure I was going to hell because of my "bad" (incomplete) confessions, and my unworthy communions, I early knew I would need all the upstairs  help I could possibly get. So, when that opportunity to rescue souls from purgatory rolled around once each year, I was dedicated.  Long after others had left the church, little Bernard was there, coming and going to say those required prayers. I am sure I averaged four to six trips each year for about five years.
Therefore, according to my good Catholic teaching, I am sure today that I have at least 20 souls in heaven due to my prayers, now saints ready to intervene for me and my family.
Today, I ask these saints (there due to my interventions) to look out after my extended family, and along the way plea for mercy for this also gravely wounded one who still, needs grace at every moment.
According to my long ago Catholic teaching, I have a claim. My Guardian Angel agrees.
Thank you, Lord, for my Catholic education. I live differently because of it., today, at four score and six. Praise God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home